Nutrition Packed, Healthy & Tasty Kadaknath Chicken – Authentic Recipes(The only black chicken)
Kadaknath Nall – Ennai Chicken:
Kadaknath Chicken cooked in Nallennai is an authentic South Indian village dish. Nallennai (gingely oil) adds great flavor to the chicken. Kadaknath chicken would be the best choice for this dish.
Kadaknath chicken (preferably with bones and skin) – 1 pound, cut into small cubes
Onion – 1/2 (finely chopped)
Tomato – 1/2 (mashed)
Ginger-Garlic paste (Ingipoonduvizhudhu) – 2 teaspoons
Gingelly Oil (nallennai, sesame oil) – 2 teaspoons
Salt to taste
karimasalapodi – 3 teaspoons
Mustard (Kadugu) – half a teaspoon
Fenugreek (Vendhayam) – 5-6 seeds
Curry leaves (Kariveppilai) – 5-6 leaves
Coconut (Thengai) – 4-5 (one inch piece each), ground into a fine paste. While grinding coconut, dry grind it first to avoid lumps.
Turmeric powder- 1/2 teaspoon
- Add 2 teaspoons gingelly oil (can be substituted with peanut oil/ corn oil/ vegetable oil but gingelly oil gives the traditional village flavor) in a flat-bottomed vessel.
- Add mustard seeds, followed by fenugreek seeds.When mustard splutters, add curry leaves, chopped onions, salt, turmeric and fry for a few minutes.
- When onion turns slightly brown, add ginger-garlic paste and fry for a few seconds (until the raw smell is gone).
- Add kadaknath chicken and half a cup of water (adding too much water would spoil the taste, adding water until the chicken pieces are fully immersed would be the right amount).
- Cook the chicken until done; it would take about 12-15 minutes approximately. *Do not add tomatoes with chicken at this stage, it will make the chicken rubbery. Add tomatoes once the chicken is cooked *
- Add 3 teaspoons of Daily Samayal’s special karimasalaPodi (substitute it with 1 spoon chilli powder, 2 spoons coriander powder, half spoon garam masala powder), and mashed tomatoes. Cook for another 6-8 minutes.
- Add ground coconut paste to this mixture and allow it cook for another 5-8 minutes.
- Allow it to stand for a few minutes and then serve with hot rice or chapatis.
- Entire cooking is done on a medium heat.
- Spice level: Very spicy.
Kadaknath Chicken Dum Biryani:
Recipe for preparing Kadaknath chicken dum biryani with detailed procedure for putting dum.
Rice – 1/2kg
Kadaknath Chicken with bones – 1/2kg
Coriander leaves – 1/2 bunch
Mint leaves – 1bunch
Green chilli – 4
Big Onion – 250g
Tomato – 250g
Ginger garlic paste – 50g
Curd – 1/2 cup
Oil – 2tblspn
Cardomon – 2
Edible alga / algae (Kadalpasi ) – 1/2tspn
Cinnamon, Cloves, Marathi Moggu, Star anise (Annasi poo) – Each 2
Red Chilli Powder – 2tspn
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tspn
Coriander Powder – 4tspn
Salt – to taste
- Heat a thick bottom vessel or a cooker. Add 2tblspn oil and add all garam masala ingredients (cinnamon, cloves, marathimoggu, annasi poo, cardomon, star anise) one by one. You can also powder these ingredients and use it.
- Add chopped onion and fry it till it turns into brown color. Now add ginger garlic paste and fry it till the raw smell goes off. Then add tomato, saute it well.
- Now add turmeric powder, chiili powder, coriander powder and little water, fry it till the raw smell goes off. Add coriander, mint leaves and saute it well.
- Now add cleaned Kadaknath chicken with little salt, fry it for 5 minutes. Once its half done, then add slitted green chilli and mix it well.
- Finally add washed rice and mix well. For 1 cup rice add 1 1/2 cups of water. Close the lid and let it to cook. Once the rice is 3/4th done add curd and mix well.
- You can dum cook the biryani by covering the vessel with wheat flour dough or with a thick kitchen towel. Or you can keep the vessel that contains water on top of the biryani vessel.
- Here I’ve used kitchen towel and put the tight lid on top of it.
- Now completely reduce the heat into medium flame and remove the biryani vessel.
- Now place a flat heavy bottomed non-stick pan with water on the stove and allow it to heat.
- After that on top of it place the biryani vessel and cook for 30 -35 minutes. (Or you can cook the biryani in low heat for 40 minutes)
- You will smell a nice aroma after 30 -35 minutes so that way you will know the biryani is ready. Now turn it off the heat and remove the vessel.
You can make small slits on the Kadaknath chicken; this will help the masala to penetrate well into the chicken.
Make sure that the heavy bottomed pan (used for putting dum) has water throughout the dum period to avoid biryani’s lower layer getting burnt.
Kadaknath Chicken Chops:
Kadaknath chicken – ½ kg
Oil – 5 tbsp
Red chilly pwd – 1 tbsp
Fennel pwd – ¼ tbsp
Cumin pwd – ½ tbsp
Pepper pwd – 2 tbsp
Turmeric pwd – ¼ tbsp
Onion – 2
Tomato – 1
Green chilly – 2
Yoghurd – 2 tbsp
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp
Fresh lemon juice – 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Chopped coriander leaves
To prepare garam masala:
Cinnamon – 2, clove – 1, cardamom – 1, bay leaf – 1
Roast them dry and grind it to fine pwd.
- Heat oil in a pan, add red chilli pwd, fennel pwd, cumin pwd and salt to it.
- Mix them and add chicken pieces, toss it well, in simmer for about 5 mins.
- Chicken shrinks and absorbs all the spices to it.
- Add 1 tb water to it and cook it covered for another 5 mins.
- Allow the chicken to get half cooked.
- Heat oil in a fry pan, temper with garam masala pwd, fry onion till it is browned.
- Add green chillies, ginger garlic paste followed by mashed tomato puree.
- Toss it and allow boiling by adding turmeric pwd, pepper pwd.
- Now add the chicken with masala, mix well and cook it covered by tossing once in a while.
- Once the required consistency acquired, remove from flame, add 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice and mix gently.
- Garnish with fried onion, lemon wedges and sliced tomatoes.
- Serve hot with chopped coriander sprinklings.
- Mouth watery NaattuKozhi Chops ready.
Kadaknath KozhiRasam – Chettinad Style:
Kadaknath chicken (bony pieces)-250 gms.
Chopped pearl onion-15.
Chilli powder-1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric powder-1 teaspoon
Ingredients to grind rasam powder:
Pepper corns-1 teaspoon.
Small jeera -1 teaspoon.
Fennel seeds-1/2 teaspoon.
Corriander powder-1 teaspoon
- Wash the kadaknath chicken Pressure cook the kadaknath chicken along with the minced onion, tomatoes and chili powder adding 5 cups of water. Add the turmeric powder and half the salt needed. Wait for a whistle and then simmer the flame. Cook for another 8 minutes and switch off the stove.
- Prepare rasam powder by grinding fennel seeds, pepper corn, small jeera and chilies first. Once they are powdered nicely add the coriander powder. Grind once. Now add the garlic and onion and grind together without adding water.
- Open the cooker. Strain the rasam and keep aside.
- Now keep the kadai in the stove.In ½ teaspoon oil season the rasam with ½ teaspoon of small jeera and curry leaves. Pour the rasam into the kadai. Add the rasam powder and the salt needed. Bring the rasam to a nice boil and switch off the stove.
- The strained out kadaknath chicken pieces can be added to the kadaknath chicken fry if you prepare one separately in the final stage and mixed well or you can fry the pieces with little onion, tomatoes and chili powder.
- The rasam can be garnished with coriander leaves while serving
Kadaknath Pepper Chicken
Kadaknath Chicken – 1/2 kg
Onion – 2 nos
Tomato – 3 nos
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Garam masala powder – 2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
Curry powder – 3 tsp
Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tbsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Pepper powder – 2 tsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds (Perinjeerakam) – 1 tsp
Coriander leaves – 3 tsp
Onion – 1 no
Small onions (Kunjulli) – 10 nos
Garlic pods – 2 nos
- Mince Kadaknath chicken into small pieces.
- Fry onion and garlic in oil. Grind it and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Splutter mustard and fennel seeds.
- Add onion and fry until it turns golden brown.
- Add ginger-garlic paste. When the raw smell of ginger garlic disappears, add tomato.
- Add all the powders except pepper powder and fry for a minute.
- Add the ground masala and Kadaknath Chicken. Pour less water and cover it with a lid. Allow it to cook for few minutes. Add salt.
- When the chicken is cooked fine and thick, add the pepper powder and mix well. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve with chappathi, roti, naan and also with rice.
Click the below link to order online: