BALINESE CHICKEN SATAY SKEWERS WITH CASHEW SAUCE
•500g Chicken Breast, cut into bite-sized chunks
For the marinade:
•3 cloves of garlic, minced
•1/2 tbsp ginger, minced
•2 tbsp peanut oil
•1 tbsp of dark soy sauce
•1/2 tsp ground turmeric
•1/2 tsp ground black pepper
•1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
•1/4 tsp salt
For the Cashew Sauce:
•250g roasted & unsalted cashew nuts
•750ml coconut milk
•5 garlic cloves
•1 tbsp ginger, minced
•1/4 cup dark soy sauce
•30g palm sugar
•1 tbsp lime juice
•1 long dried chilli
•lime wedges, roughly chopped cilantro to serve
1.The day before: In a bowl, whisk together the marinade ingredients until well combined. Add the chicken pieces and toss well, so the chicken is evenly coated. Cover the bowl and place in the fridge to marinate over night. (Or at least for hour, if you’re short on time)
2.To Make The sauce: Combine the cashews garlic, ginger, dried chilli and 250ml of the coconut milk in a blender and blend until a thick and slightly chunky paste is formed. Place this paste along with the the remaining ingredients into a pan and warm steadily over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture begins to boil.Remove from heat and allow to cool. Reheat just prior to serving.
3.Place the chicken pieces on skewers and cook via your preferred method (under the grill, oven bake, in a skillet or on a bbq) until nicely browned and cooked through. Serve with the cashew sauce and optional garnishes.
GAI YANG – THAI GRILLED CHICKEN
•1kg boneless chicken
•Fresh cilantro (coriander leaves), lime wedges and
sliced red chilli for garnish (optional)
For the Marinade:
•4 tbsp soy sauce (or Tamari for GF substitute)
•20 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
•2 lemon grass stalks, thinly sliced (just the beigewhite
•1 tbsp fish sauce
•30g palm sugar
•1 tbsp black peppercorns
•3 to 4 coriander roots, coarsely chopped
•1 tbsp fresh lime juice
•Zest of 1 lime
1.If using a food processor/ blender: Place all the marinade ingredients, along with ¼ cup of water, into your food processor and pulse until a chunky, pesto-like paste is formed
2.If using a pestle and mortar: Add the lemongrass slices to the mortar and begin to crush with the pestle. Slow add the garlic cloves, a few at a time to make it easier, followed by the coriander roots and peppercorns. Add the remaining ingredients, along with a few tablespoons of water, and continue to crush and grind until a thick and
chunky paste – similar in consistency to pesto – is reached.
The Gai Yang Chicken:
1.In a large bowl combine the chicken with the marinade. Turn to evenly coat. Cover with plastic wrap (you could also use a large zip-lock bag or an airtight container) and leave in the refrigerator to marinade – a few hours will be fine but for the best, kick-ass results, overnight is highly recommended.
2.An hour before cooking, remove the chicken from the refrigerator – this helps for even cooking.
3.Cook the chicken on your BBQ or grill, basting frequently with the remaining marinade, until the chicken is lightly charred and cooked through (the cook time will depend on the heat of your BBQ and the size of the chicken thighs/ breasts, but 3 to five minutes on each side should be plenty).
4.Remove from the BBQ and allow to rest for fifteen minutes before serving.
Grilled Honey Chipotle Wings Recipe
• chicken wings (18 wings), cut up
•1 tablespoon baking powder
•1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
•1 teaspoon kosher salt
•For the glaze:
•3 chipotles in adobo
•1 tablespoon of the adobo sauce
•1/2 cup honey
•2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
•2 tablespoons soy sauce
•1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
1. Pat the chicken wings dry with paper towels. Place the wings in a large bowl and sprinkle with the baking powder,chili powder, and salt and toss to evenly coat. Arrange the wings in a single layer on wire rack placed over a baking sheet. Refrigerate uncovered for at least 8 hours.
2. Place all the ingredients for the glaze in a blender and puree until smooth. Pour into a small bowl and set aside.
3. Light a chimney 3/4 full of charcoal. When charcoal is fully lit and covered in gray ash, pour coals out and arrange them on one side of the charcoal grate, keeping the other side empty. Clean and oil the grilling grate. Place the wings skin side up over the cool side of the grill, cover, and cook until skins are crisp and are starting to brown, about 30-40 minutes. In the last 10 minutes of cooking brush the glaze all over the wings. Brush the wings with the glaze again and move to the hot side of the grill until the just begin to char, about 1 to 3 minutes. Remove the wings to a plate, sprinkle with cilantro, and serve.
HEALTHY BAKED PARMESAN CHICKEN NUGGETS
• 1 lb boneless skinless chicken, cut into pieces
• 1/2 cup parmesan cheese divided in half
• 1/4 cup cold water
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/8 tsp pepper
• 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1. Pre-heat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a food processor place the chicken breasts, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, cold water, and salt +pepper. Pulse for 1 minute or just until the chicken is minced and everything is well combined.
3. Pour the panko breadcrumbs and 1/4 cup parmesan into a shallow dish. Shape the minced chicken mixture into small nuggets and coat with the breadcrumb mixture. Line nuggets on a baking sheet and drizzle with oil or spray with cooking spray.
4. Bake 12-15 minutes then transfer under the broiler for 2-3 minute or until nuggets are lightly golden. Serve warm with ketchup or your favorite dipping sauce.
MEXICAN INSPIRED BAKED CHICKEN TENDERS WITH CREAMY AVOCADO DIP
• For the chicken tenders
• 2-3 pounds chicken tenders boneless (raw)
• 1 package 1 oz taco or fajita seasoning mix
• 1 egg
• 1.5 cups plain panko crispy bread crumbs For the Avocado dip
• 1 sliced avocado
• 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
• 1/4 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
• 1 finely chopped jalapeno optional
• 1 teaspoon lime juice
• pinch of salt
1. To make the chicken: Heat oven to 450°F. Spray large cookie sheet with cooking spray or grease.
2. In large resealable food-storage plastic bag, place taco seasoning mix; Place chicken in bag; seal and shake to coat., marinate anywhere from 10 minutes to 24 hours (the more the better!).
In a medium bowl, beat egg. and set aside. Pour panko breadcrumbs in a large dish. Dip chicken into egg then into the panko crumbs, then Place chicken on cookie sheet. Repeat until all the chicken tenders are coated, Spray with cooking spray or lightly drizzle with oil.
3. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, turning once, until chicken is no longer pink in center and bread crumbs are golden brown. Serve with creamy avocado dip or sour cream.
4. To make the avocado dip:
5. In a food processor, combine avocados, sour cream, cilantro, lime juice, jalapeno, and salt. Pulse until smooth, scraping down sides as necessary. Serve with chicken tenders.